Blog #4 A Day in Live Theatre



When I first started planning the video, I divided it into five main sections to tell the story of how a typical day in Giese, the theater building at the University of Mount Union, would be.  First people enter the building, and the space they are working in. In the morning/afternoon there is a dance class, usually before or after people will practice their dance either individually or in their small groups.  Then there is either rehearsal or people will go to either theatre to practice lines or blocking for an upcoming production.  Then later in the evening techs will program and adjust lights for a production or event.  Finally, people will shut lights off, and the building will go dark. A big help for all this was having access to the theater building.  This allowed me to create that real story to put the viewer in the prospective that they are just a fly on the wall watching what is happening throughout the day.

In my video, there were a lot of cuts to show the passage of time and the change in the different clips. Two of my most significant transitions were L-Cuts which were the transitions from Grace walking into Grace tapping and then the transition from her getting the scene set to starting her lines.  I used L-cuts here to try and ease the viewer into those changes and prepare them for what was going to happen.  Using these cuts allowed the video to flow with a less choppy feel.  I also used simple cuts and fades to transition between the other parts of the video, the simple cuts helped create a smooth transition from one part to the next.  Meanwhile, the fades allowed me to show a significant progression of time, as well as a change in what was happening such as the change from her acting to programming lights.  Finally, the fade at the end helps signify the end of the day and brings the video to a nice close.

During the filming process, I really tried to focus on the shot composition techniques we learned before. I took different video shots of different angles to determine which would look best in the viewer's mind.  In all of the shots, I made sure that Grace had enough headroom and her lead space/looking room made it appear as if she was dancing, acting, and teaching an actual production.  Finally, I added 2 still photos, one of Giese to create a nice transition of the video and another of Grace in an actual production to display as she was talking about her theater career and all of these aspects together made the video come to life.

One of the limitations I quickly learned from working with video is making sure that what I am trying to showcase can be seen by the viewer.  There were lots of times when I had to rerecord a section or edit a section of the video because it was either too hard to see what was going on or it did not showcase what I was intending to.  That being said, having the storyboard plan done beforehand I did not feel like I was wasting Grace’s time as I was able to flow from one part to the next with little downtime.  This surprised me as I was able to get all of my filming done in about an hour and quickly start on editing.  When I was editing one of the significant challenges, I faced was first learning the program.  I have never used iMovie before, and it took me a little bit to become comfortable with the program.  Also, I think it was harder to create a shorter video as I had to really spend time editing my project down to encompass only the best elements of my project.  Just like the audio project it took me a while to make sure all of the fade and transitions line up where I want them too so that they can smoothly flow from one part to the next without a choppy or amateur feeling.

Overall, I was shocked with the amount I learned from this project.  Having just completed the audio project I wanted almost to continue that with the same subject.  As I continue to think about my idea for my final project, I think it will be either a video or audio project on something related to theater.  For me, the theater is a big part of my life, and I find a lot of enjoyment with projects that are centered around something I care about.  The more I can do to share the theater with others to expand what people know about it the better.

Comments

  1. Hey Matt, I thought you did a good job with using L Cuts and still photos, and with the dialogue over them. Generally, I liked the way that you used the audio and video together. Nice job with this video!
    - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your video, but I do wish that it was just a little bit longer. I feel like for a project like this (life in theatre) it would have been a little stronger if you had multiple perspectives. Still, I thought that the work you did in this one was excellent. - Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is wonderful. Very interesting , good job and thanks for sharing such a good blog. By the way, we would like to let you know about our company: Premium Travel Vietnam (PTV) is a professional, leading tour operator based in Da Nang city – central Vietnam. Our office is at 21 Che Lan Vien Str, Ngu Hanh Son Dist, Da Nang city. We have been in the tourism industry for many years and with a comprehensive experience in this field, we are proud to be one of the best travel agents in Da Nang in particular and in Vietnam in general. Everyday,we provide tourists with local tours to all tourist sightseeings in central Vietnam such as many historical sites of My Son Holyland, Hoi An ancient town, Hue ancient capital, Demilitarized Zone, Phong Nha National Park, Ba Na Hills. As you know, central Vietnam is an amazing area and it is known as World Heritage Road in Vietnam due to its various UNESCO sites such as Hoi An ancient town, My Son Holyland, Hue ancient capital, Phong Nha National Park. Moreover, central Vietnam is not only picturesque region but the people are so friendly, warm hearted and welcoming. Da Nang is a beautiful coastal city in central Vietnam, Da nang becomes a worth living city of the country with pretty beaches and many famous sightseeings such as Linh Ung Pagoda, Cham Sculpture Museum, Marble Mountains, especially Ba Na Hills with iconic Golden Bridge. The demand of tourists coming to explore Da Nang not only by airplane but also by cruise ship is higher and higher. To meet that rising demand, PTV organises Golden Bridge Ba Na Hills Tour from Tien Sa port . Coming with us for this tour, we are sure to bring to you the most exciting and memorable experience to admire Golden Bridge as well as providing unforgettable holiday for all of you in one day from seaport. Besides, our company also arranges package tours, private tours or day tours to Phong Nha National Park. A new tourist destination of central Vietnam in Quang Binh province. So, let’s come and explore amazing, fantastic caves and impressive nature as well as spectacular stalactities, stalagmites at Phong Nha Park with Phong Nha Pioneer Travel. To know more about this tour, kindly contact us at premiumvietnamtravel@gmail.com or whatsapp us at 0084979613777. We are very pleased to serve you and be a reliable partner to you.


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment